U2 front man Bono penned a lyric saying:
“The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear.”
As artists, it’s important to remember and embrace our individual and unique right to be ridiculous from time to time.
The exercise of discovering the unique traits where we create our best art can be ridiculous in and of itself. A few examples of the ridiculous could be:
- Creating art from a certain posture.
- Listening to music that creates a particular mood.
- Working at a specific hour when we feel our most creative.
- Finding the environment that allows our creativity to flow without restraint.
- Wearing the uniform that aids us to be comfortable enough to create.
- Following our creative routine.
- Breaking our creative routine.
- Finding the appropriate rhythm that reinforces our ability to be our creative best.
- Fighting to protect what you have created.
- Being willing to follow your instincts on the art you are creating.
The danger for artists and creators is not the ridiculous, but when we jump from ridiculous to prima-donna. When we become impossible to work with or to relate to and become troublesome in our organizations, we have leaped from ridiculous to resistant (prima-donna). As an artist, you never want to make that transition because in that place, you sacrifice influence in your space and equity with those you work with. If you feel yourself making that transition, pull back.
Ridiculous artists only become that way because they care passionately about the art they are creating. They understand what they’re attempting to produce and know that – in order to accomplish art on such a level – they can’t work inside the norms. Being ridiculous actually means you care about what you’re doing.
So today you have permission to be a little ridiculous. Be unique and uniquely different. Embrace your own personal ridiculous today. Enjoy it and hold it dear. You cherishing those moments may just be what we need to share your next big idea!
What are some of your ridiculous habits that help you be your most creative?