Let’s be honest, it doesn’t take a lot to sidetrack a creative person or a good idea.
We actually have to work hard just to keep ideas alive, let alone make them successful. The resistance around us is looking for any and every opportunity or excuse to get us to stop doing creative work and to start making excuses.
- That will take too much effort.
- That will take too much time.
- That will take too much energy.
- This does not make sense.
- There’s no space for creativity.
- We can just do something simple, it doesn’t have to be creative.
- You should always follow the rules.
- Stop asking questions.
- Don’t fight the status quo.
- Don’t try anything crazy.
- That’s not practical.
- What if you fail?
- What will people think?
- It’s never been done before.
- That’s impossible.
- I’m not creative.
- When we last tried this, it didn’t work.
- We can’t afford to fail.
- What is the ROI.
- Failure is final.
- That’s not how we do things here.
- That is not ‘us.’
Words have power.
Words can speak life that inspires and uplifts and – just as fast – words can discourage and destroy the spirit of an idea or a creative person.
Manage your words, watch what you say, speak life and create well!