Every day we are going to get better or worse but we will never stay the same. One of the biggest reasons innovation doesn’t soar in organization is because amazing people like us fall victim to excuses. Excuses are a waste of time and energy. Excuses like:
- I don’t have the time.
- My boss will never go for it.
- Were not in the kind of organization that values innovation.
- I’ve got too much to do.
- I’ll be punished if I fail.
- I’m just not the creative type.
- I’m juggling way too many projects.
- I’m too new around here.
- I’ve been here to long.
- No one, besides me, really cares.
- “They” don’t get it.
- There’s too much bureaucracy here to get anything done.
- Our attendees aren’t asking for it.
- Our attendees won’t like it.
- The voice of that one person who doesn’t like anything is too loud.
- We’re a risk adverse culture.
- We don’t have the right process or culture.
- It’s not my job.
- If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
- We are succeeding.
- Now is not a good time to start a new project.
- If I succeed, too much will be expected of me.
- This is how “we do it”.
- Welcome to how it is done “here.”
- Nothing ever changes around here.
- It’s just not worth the effort.
So here is the challenge. Start something new in the next 24 hours. It doesn’t have to be big it just has to start. Now go!