Leadership is intangible, and therefore no weapon ever designed can replace it. – Omar N. Bradley
Every great leader I have ever been around is desperate for those little things they can do to improve their skill, build their team chemistry, and get the best out of their teams.
Leading is stewardship. It is how we handle what we have been entrusted. Leading creatives adds additional complexity to the equations. Artists or creative people are great because they are able to connect on a different level to the work they do.
I have been blessed with the gift of working for and with some fantastic creative leaders, and I think these may be the 21 things I am most thankful I have learned from them and that I am working on trying to incorporate into my life:
1. Set the tone and set it with passion, authenticity, and audacity.
2. Avoid drama and create peace – and always lean into tension.
3. Think positive, but realistic.
4. Lead by serving.
5. More action than words. Don’t talk about it, do it!
6. Ensure that your words and actions align; own and correct it when they don’t. Then hold your team to the same accountability.
7. Dream. PLAN. Then EXECUTE on that plan.
8. We don’t have or need to have all the answers all the time.
9. Ask questions more than making statements.
10. Trust the team to do it’s jobs. Responsibility without authority is frustration in development.
11. Set and articulate expectations.
12. Insist on results.
13. Delegate. Then, delegate more.
14. Give others credit.
15. Listen. Listen. Listen. Then respond.
16. Have compassion, but don’t be fooled.
17. Respond instead of reacting.
18. Hire talented, young, future leaders and trust them even when they fail…and never stop investing in them.
19. We know our ideas are not always the best ideas, and that is GOOD!
20. Never stop learning.
21. Stay brave enough to fail!
What traits do you look for in a leader and what traits are you attempting to develop in your life?
PS – Our next coaching group starts in 3 weeks. We would love for you to join us! Email me for more info!